Classic Italian Lasagna made from scratch, bubbling with cheeses, and oozing Bolognese sauce, is easier than you think to make and it is absolutely delicious. The best Classic Italian Lasagna recipe is made with home-made ingredients, including the eggs pasta, meat and bechamel sauces. It is fundamental to have a great Bolognese sauce, a specialty in Bologna.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 3/4 pound of bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) of tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) of tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) of small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices of Provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) of shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese.
Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.