Credits Photo: http://langhe.net/
Alba is an Italian city in the province of Cuneo, in Piedmont, surrounded by hills rich in vineyards and is the most important center of the Langhe area.
Alba has reached its popularity thanks to the White Truffle Fair, now reached the 87th edition. In fact, the Langhe territory is not only rich of famous and valuable wines but also truffles of excellence.
Each year, in the months of October and November, the city of Alba is home for events, art exhibitions, theater performances, concerts, markets, historical and folk recollections, attracting thousands of national and international visitors. The first edition of the Alba’s Truffle Fair dates back to 1928 when a truffle exhibition was organized on the occasion of the Vendemmial Fair.
The first edition of the Alba’s Truffle Fair dates back to 1928 when a truffle exhibition was organized on the occasion of the Vendemmial Fair. The following year, in 1929, was organized the first edition of the “Champion Show Fair at renowned Langhe Truffles”, where the best specimens of truffles were exhibited to enhance and to make known these small jewels typical of Langhe-Roero. The exhibition, over the years, became increasingly important and well-known within the Italian peninsula, so as to become a national event in 1963; then, in 2007, it was recognized as an international by the name of “International White Truffle Fair in Alba”.
The exhibition, over the years, became increasingly important and well-known within the Italian peninsula, so, in 1963 it became a national event; then, in 2007, it was recognized as international with the name of “International White Truffle Fair of Alba”.
The purpose of the Fair since the first edition is to enhance and promote the surrounding area both for products and for history and tradition. In fact, during the event are organized various entertainment opportunities related to the history and folklore of the city; the most important are:
- the “investiture of the Mayor” is the first historical re-enactment, and it takes place before the opening of the fair;
- the “Bela Trifulera”, since 1945, is a true beauty contest during the inauguration of the fair, and the winner becomes the girl of the Fair;
- the “Donkeys Palio (it means race)” was first established in 1275 when Alba and the neighbor city of Asti were in a war, it takes place every year on the first Sunday of October;
- the “Truffle International Market” is the heart of the Fair where you can see, tap, sniff and buy truffles;
- the “Baccanale of Truffle” is a set of events to recall the festivals of the medieval period during which the villages of the city of Alba organize games and tastings.
The Fiera d’Alba is organized and managed by the association “Ente Fiera Nazionale del Tartufo Bianco d’Alba” established in 2003. The association, in addition to the best valorization of the products, has been able to accompany the fair with two related events: the “Foodies Moments” (in 2012) and “Alba Truffle Show” (in 2014). The first ones, thanks to the collaboration with the best Langhe chefs, allow visitors to taste dishes created by great names of Italian cuisine, the main ingredient of all the recipes is the tasty White Truffle of Alba. The Alba Truffle show, instead, is an exhibition space where special guests organize debates, meetings, book presentations, talk shows and performances and concerts.
For more information see the events organized week by week on the website of the Fair: http://www.fieradeltartufo.org/2017/en/